Saturday, March 23, 2013

How to make name tags with chalkboard paint


If you've taken classes with us, you know that we like to know you.  Everyone gets a nice little name tag, it helps so that the instructors don't just shout at the end of the table "hey you, with the the beads... and wire... yah you!"  We've been using Post It notes, but that's so wasteful.  We decided to come up with something that reusable... and cute.

Thanks to Pinterest, we decided to go with chalkboard paint!  Reusable and cute!  Both things we love.

Supplies:
  • 10 wood pieces
  • chalkboard paint
  • paintbrush
  • decoration
  • E6000 (a hot glue gun would probably work too)
This project is fairly self explanatory.  However, the How To's:
1 - Prep your work surface.  I used random scrap paper we had laying around.
2 - Follow the directions on your chalkboard paint.  Ours said to shake well, apply two coats:  one vertically and one horizontally (I did two each direction, you know... more is better right?)  Dry one hour between coats (which I did not do).  Let cure 24 hours.  Lightly rub chalk over surface to condition (I have no idea what this meant really, I didn't do it).  Water cleanup.
Why water cleanup is important...


3 - Then get to painting.  Which I did.  I have a lot of skills in life, a lot of great skills.  Apparently painting is not one of them.  Oh well!  Water cleanup, right!

4 - Wait until dry.  

5 - Use glue to affix your fancy little decorations.  I used fabric flowers I found and some beads.  I used a little glass owl for the "instructor's" name tag, you know, because we're the instructors!  And owls are smart.  


Ta da!  Super easy.  Super cute.  We've been using them for about a week now and they're working beautifully!  I'm really happy with how they've turned out.

Ready for class!

No comments:

Post a Comment