Saturday, March 2, 2013

DIY wrapped bracelet with ball chain - hmmm...

In the last few weeks we've had almost a dozen people come in to get supplies for these leather wrapped bracelets with ball chain and hemp from Honestly WTF.   And we've been all "honestly?  WTF are these people up to!"  So we decided to give this little tutorial a try.  Well, Sarah did...


I used hemp instead of wax linen and it worked great! I also used a bead instead of a hex nut for the clasp.  Make sure the hole of the bead is large enough so the leather cord when it's doubled will fit through it. I used a silver ball chain but we have over 20 different colors!










The tricky part is making sure both leather cords and the ball chain stay straight when you are wrapping them with the hemp so it doesn't end up twisted.  Make sure you pay attention to whether your cords are beginning to twist.  Also the tutorial didn't say whether the ball chain should go on top of the leather cords together or whether the ball chain needed to go in between the cords.  When I did it, I put the ball chain on top of both cords, so it was like a three high stack.  Looking back, I think it maybe should have gone between them, like a triangle with the leather at the bottom and the ball chain as the top part.









My first try wasn't the most successful, but I would definitely give it another try.  I hope these tips were helpful!

Happy beading!

~Sarah~





  

No comments:

Post a Comment