Sunday, February 10, 2013

Tucson Bead Shows 2013 - here I come!

Whew!  It seems like only last year I was at the Tucson gem and bead shows.  Oh wait.  It was only last year that I was.  :)  I'm excited to go back, it's so much fun and I'm really looking forward to picking up amazing things to bring back.  I'm also excited to eat at one of my favorite breakfast places (Sunrise cafe), meet new and exciting beaders, maybe make a few friends along the way, and generally, have a good time.  You can follow along here (on the blog) and through this photo album.

One of my favorite booths!  It's HUGE and amazing.  See the front table on the left?  Coral.  Piles of coral.
Today I need to get ready.  I need to make our itinerary, what shows we're going to hit, make sure everything is printed (our wholesale badges, etc), and leave notes for the team here.

To take/pack (other than clothes and personal items):

  • a budget - this is particularly important because it's easy to get overwhelmed and fall in love with literally everything.
  • itinerary.  I like having an idea of the exact hours shows are open and their location/addresses.  This helps me plan our trip fairly effectively and efficiently.  I'm not staying long, so I have to use the time as wisely as possible. 
  • bag with wheels - I typically take a backpack style bag, so I can roll it when it gets really heavy, and I can pick it up and carry it if I need, or if I'm feeling particularly guilty about the deliciousness I had for breakfast and to gear up for dinner. 

Uhm, so yum!
  • notebook - I've been making notes about what we need/what to look for/special requests for the last few months.  Can't forget this!
  • copies of our Sales Tax License - we go to primarily wholesale shows and need this to register and get in, some vendors also ask for it when we buy, so it's good to have a few copies, just in case)
  • checkbook - this is the one I usually forget.  I just don't keep a checkbook with me, ever.  However, some vendors will only take checks or cash.
  • badges -  Some shows we can pre-register for, which we typically do.  I like having all of that stuff pre-printed and ready to go, that way we can just walk in when we show up.  Saves time.
  • sticky labels - this one might not be as important for you, but for us, it's really important.  This means that when we purchasing something, we can tag the item exactly as it's sold to us.  There are some stones that can look a lot like other stones, or things that have fancy names that I might not remember later.  I tag them on the spot.
  • business cards - another thing I sometimes forget.
  • comfortable shoes.  So much walking!
  • heart rate monitor/calorie counter.  Might as well find out what my actual exertion is!  It's feels like it's a lot. 
Gosh, what else.  I feel like there's so much, but there's not really.  So, here's a picture of some mother of pearl beads.  :)  (want more pictures from last year?  Check out this album.)


- Anne

P.S. - the store is open this week!  Check in on Aimee while I'm away, don't let her be lonely.  There's a sale on gemstone strands this week too (Monday - Wednesday), 30% off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment